During my previous visit here I completed almost all commercial requirements related to night hours except one 2-hour cross-country. I wanted to fly it, but some circumstances prevented that flight.
This time this flight seemed to happen. I checked the airplane in advance, ensured that we had full tanks and enough oil. Ensured that nobody would fly the airplane since that check.
The airplane just came from maintenance, and we were going to fly with my instructor.
So, here we go. We checked everything one more time, read necessary checklists. Everything was OK, and we started taxiing to the runway.
During the take-off roll the airspeed was raising, but suspiciously slow. It was more than 500 ft, but we still had 45. 45, 47… The runway is long, but still not endless, so it was better to abort the take-off. We safely stopped well before the runway threshold, but I think that the real speed was more than 70 when the decision was made.
Some system malfunction is not a pleasant case. To be honest, I was slightly scared.
We taxied back, but I still wanted to fly if possible: the weather was good, and it was not the only available airplane in the school. So we still could fly!
The flight was good. I thought that it’s hard to see clouds at night, but actually it is not, and we were able to keep us well below them.
We flew to KVNC, and requested flight following. For some reason the controller diverted us along the shoreline, around class B airspace.
Return flight was also around class B airspace, but on the East side. Firstly because of the weather avoidance, and secondly because it’s fun to fly a different route.
I like night flying 🙂